[LMB] The heroine's journey

Kathy C. kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Sep 29 12:11:57 BST 2021

You all might be interested in a new book, just out, Maria Tatar’s Heroine with 1001 Faces.  Here’s the NY Times review of it: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/books/maria-tatar-heroine-with-1001-faces.html.

I had the pleasure of attending the 2010 Boskone panel on The Heroine’s Journey that Lois participated in (and also Greer Gilman); Jo Walton describes it here: https://www.tor.com/2010/02/19/boskone-panel-the-heroines-journey/.  Among other things, Walton says, "I said that the Hero’s Journey made rather an odd life, with a distinct lack of what most people do, such as making things and having children. Lois said that traditionally in most cultures men went out and came back again, off to have adventures and then home to settle down and inherit from their father, whereas women went out and didn’t come back, inheriting from strangers—their husband’s parents. You can see this in a lot of fairy tales."

 It will be interesting to see how Tatar’s book deals with the same issues.

Katherine