[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Richard G. Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Wed Sep 29 21:24:21 BST 2021

In the British military, Doctors (and Artillery Commanders, among others) were independent contractors who were hired for a specific campaign (or voyage). As such, they could demand (require) officers' rank to have a measure of command authority; additionally, since doctors were usually form the (minor) aristocracy, they (almost) automatically were due officer rank as a 'social'/Political niceity.

Dunno about other nations (this is circa 1600).

   On Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 02:30:16 PM CDT, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

 On 29/09/2021 13:07, Greg Hennessy wrote:

> On 9/27/21 23:51, Eric Oppen wrote:
>> I never did understand why doctors and nurses were given Army officer
>> ranks.
>
> Because Space Force hadn't been invented yet. :)
My guess would be pay-grades. If you train someone to be a medical
professional, you can't pay them private's rates - otherwise you're just
setting them up to leave the moment their renewal comes up.
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to rgmolpus at flash.net
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk