[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Sep 29 22:24:58 BST 2021

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021, Matthew George wrote:
> It has been repeatedly shown that women do better than men at repetitive
> tasks involving manual dexterity.

Must tell my husband that. I've cut myself often enough chopping with
knives or using the mandoline that he has no faith in my manual dexterity
with kitchen implements.

He's also much better than me with fiddly little bits in bike repairs, or
in soldering, or in many other tasks involving fine manual dexterity.

I must note that that hasn't stopped me from doing them myself...

Matthew, this sounds like a gross over-simplification.

> Girls also do better at arithmetic until the latter stages of high
> school, but they tend not to be interested in mathematics.

By that time they've got the Barbie message that girls don't do math. I
myself loved math right up to & including numerical algebra in university.

I'd strongly recommend you read _Gender and Our Brains How New
Neuroscience Explodes the Myths of the Male and Female Minds_ by Gina
Rippon, which explodes most of these myths.

> A major issue isn't whether a group has more or less capability in a field
> than whether they tend to have interest in it.  That interest can be
> influenced by culture, but a significant component of the choice is
> correlated with sex.

Rippon explodes this myth. It's culture, starting in babyhood.

>> The only constant is that "men's work" is always more highly valued than
>> "women's work."
>
> It's notable that, to my knowledge, this is indeed true of ALL human
> societies.  Why do you think that is?

Men have more power?

Alayne

--