[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 22:35:51 BST 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 5:25 PM <alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:

> Must tell my husband that. I've cut myself often enough chopping with
> knives or using the mandoline that he has no faith in my manual dexterity
> with kitchen implements.

It's also very well demonstrated that the vast majority of human beings
cannot cope with statistical information or arguments.

> Matthew, this sounds like a gross over-simplification.

We have illiteracy and innumeracy.  What's the term for people who can't
understand statistical claims?

Rippon explodes this myth. It's culture, starting in babyhood.

'Explodes'?  *raises eyebrow*  Are 'dispels' or 'disproves' not
sufficiently active verbs for you, or do you spend a lot of time writing
six-inch high headlines for tabloids, or what?

I'm not interested in how the pendulum of popular perceptions swings to one
trendy extreme after another.  I'm interested in the actual, factual truth.

Matt G.