[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Thu Sep 30 08:13:58 BST 2021

On 29/09/2021 21:26, Matthew George wrote:
> It has been repeatedly shown that women do better than men at repetitive
> tasks involving manual dexterity.

How was the experiment designed? What were the controls? This sounds
like an "everybody knows" without an actual foundation.

Do you have a link to a study that actually shows that? Particularly one
that measured how that changes with age?

>   It's also part of why girls outperform boys in modern school
> environments - boys tend to become restless when they're expected to sit at
> a desk all day.  Girls also do better at arithmetic until the latter stages
> of high school, but they tend not to be interested in mathematics.

Your making up explanations to justify preferred outcomes, instead of
providing actual measurements.

And you're wrong about interest in mathematics - in Slovenia, the
mathematics courses at the university level are primarily attended by women.

And when I was studying computer science (in a heavily math-weighted
curriculum), I knew that if I wanted good notes to study, or an
explanation of a difficult concept, I should ask one of my female
colleagues (comp sci was about 50/50 melae female at my university at
the time).

> A major issue isn't whether a group has more or less capability in a field
> than whether they tend to have interest in it.

Why should it be an issue if one sex has 10 percentage points more
interest in a field than another?

Naturally, people should go to fields that interest them. The problem
comes when people gatekeep fields "Oh no, you don't get to study X.
You're a girl, girls are not interested in X". It's even worse when
people gatekeep a field and THEN use the results of gatekeeping as the
justification for the gatekeeping. Which you seem to be advocating.

>   That interest can be
> influenced by culture, but a significant component of the choice is
> correlated with sex.
And a significant component is NOT. And yet you insist that the sex must
be the only determinant considered. Why?
>> The only constant is that "men's work" is always more highly valued than
>> "women's work."
>>
> It's notable that, to my knowledge, this is indeed true of ALL human
> societies.  Why do you think that is?
Because it has been repeatedly shown that your knowledge of "ALL human
societies" is decidedly lacking?