[LMB] OT: automotive, was OT: Gender Roles , figures

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 14:10:23 BST 2021

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 8:01 AM WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> Car makers would be Idiotic (and many may be) not to design at least some
> cars that could be driven by 58” tall or 80” tall people. In other words
> the shortest 5% of women and the tallest 5% of men.

It's been suggested that this is one reason the whole genre of "women are
such horrible drivers" jokes died off. The theory is that Japanese cars
started to dominate the US market about then and that they are optimized
for Japanese male drivers. That would make the "normal driver" Japanese
car-makers have in mind close to the same size as US female drivers.
Although I personally think that it has more to do with power steering and
power brakes becoming the norm at about the same time. Under current
conditions, as any parent of teenagers will tell you, men pay higher auto
insurance rates. Enormously so before age 25.

Louann