[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 18:44:31 BST 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 9:43 PM Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is this the point where they meet teachers who say girls can't do math?

Girls outperform boys in school throughout the Western world.  Where are
all these teachers stunting the development of girls?  Why did they
suddenly cease affecting female performance about a generation and a half
back?  And how are they still convincing girls not to take interest in
certain fields when their influence has otherwise magically disappeared?

Most of it.

Wrong.  The disparity in interest persists when financial need and cultural
opposition are eliminated - in fact, its manifestation on behavior becomes
=stronger=.  It persists even when culture actively tries to push women
=towards= those fields.

> > Yup. Girls get dress coded way more often than boys.

Today?

> Sylvia, who remembers classmates humiliated by the hemline rules.

We're discussing the present.  You seem to be discussing the past.

Matt G.