[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Thu Sep 30 19:36:31 BST 2021

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021, Matthew George wrote:
> I'm not interested in how the pendulum of popular perceptions swings to one
> trendy extreme after another.  I'm interested in the actual, factual truth.

Matthew, I reread your contribution to this thread, and all I saw
was you pointing to unnamed "everybody knows" claims.

I pointed to a 2019 book _Gender and Our Brains: How New Neuroscience
Explodes the Myths of the Male and Female Minds_. 424 pages of detailed
argument based on state-of-the-art research in neuroscience and
psychology.

By Gina Rippon, who is Honorary Professor of Cognitive Neuroimaging at
Aston Brain Centre at Aston University in Birmingham, England. Her
research involves the use of state-of-the-art brain imaging techniques to
investigate developmental disorders such as autism. In 2015 she was made
an Honorary Fellow of the British Science Association for her
contributions to the public communication of science.

The book's overall conclusion: actual differences due to gender are either
minimal or non-existent. Male brains are often larger, but that correlates
to a larger overall body, not intelligence.

If you want to argue facts, critique that book.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

and subvert them. -- Barbara Ehrenreich