[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 20:38:40 BST 2021

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 2:36 PM <alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:

> Matthew, I reread your contribution to this thread, and all I saw
> was you pointing to unnamed "everybody knows" claims.

On the contrary, people rarely know basic facts.  People who actually study
and research human psychology usually are, though.

I'm not interested in popular literature making specific claims to
accomplish specific socio-political goals, beyond the degree to which they
get the facts right.  (Acknowledging reality is a goal that everyone ought
to be behind, yet few are.)

State-of-the-art research is quite clear, and has been clear for
generations:  there are consistent statistical differences between men and
women that carry across culture, ethnicity, and time period.  It's also
clear that human beings are not capable of intuitively evaluating
statistical statements.

products, and you'll quickly find all sorts of pop psych works pushing
whatever ideas were trendiest at the time they were created.  Most of them
have been forgotten as their ideas became unpopular, as there's nothing
else about them worth caring about.

There are people dedicated to refuting the sort of nonsense you're
spouting, just as there are people dedicated to refuting the claims of
creationists and Moon-landing deniers.  I have no personal interest in
educating you - if you want to know what's true, instead of what your
prejudices would prefer to be true, you're perfectly capable of seeking out
the best available knowledge by yourself.

Matt G.