[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Thu Sep 30 21:00:16 BST 2021

On 30/09/2021 20:38, Matthew George wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 2:36 PM <alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:
>
>> Matthew, I reread your contribution to this thread, and all I saw
>> was you pointing to unnamed "everybody knows" claims.
>>
> On the contrary, people rarely know basic facts.  People who actually study
> and research human psychology usually are, though.
Ah, reading comprehension problems again. She wasn't saying that people
already know what you're saying, she was saying that you did not point
to any actual research - you just made claims without proof, with the
only justification being that they are supposedly common knowledge.
> I'm not interested in popular literature making specific claims to
> accomplish specific socio-political goals, beyond the degree to which they
> get the facts right.
You said you were interested in truth. You need to listen to other
people's evidence to learn the truth, not just claim they are obviously
wrong.
>    (Acknowledging reality is a goal that everyone ought
> to be behind, yet few are.)

Oh, you're such a comedian. I haven't seen you acknowledge reality in
any debate on this list so far.

Actually, no. I did see you admit that you got it wrong when you
ascribed the Babylonian numbering system to the Aztecs.

> State-of-the-art research is quite clear, and has been clear for
> generations
Yet you failed to cite this supposed "state-of-the-art research".
Because then we could judge for ourselves just how "state" and of which
"art" it is.
> :  there are consistent statistical differences between men and
> women that carry across culture, ethnicity, and time period.

Are there differences? Sure there are. "Vive la difference".

The issue at hand is "Do those differences mean that women should not be
allowed to do certain jobs". On that question, the research, and the
reality you refuse to acknowledge answers "No".

> There are people dedicated to refuting the sort of nonsense you're
> spouting, just as there are people dedicated to refuting the claims of
> creationists and Moon-landing deniers.
I am willing to bet a significant chunk of the people "dedicated to
refuting this" ARE creationists, and quite possibly Moon-landing deniers.