[LMB] OT: Parade

B. Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 19:48:00 GMT 2022

On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:55:43 +0000, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/B8A2AE55-22E5-4C03-B077-2C00E05C2C9D@getmailspring.com/0?redirect=mailto%3Awawenri%40msn.com&recipient=bG9pcy1idWpvbGRAbGlzdHMuaGVyYWxkLmNvLnVr)> wrote:

> Can anyone else remember watching the Rose Parade on a black and white TV?
Well, yes! Also the Mummers' Parade from Philadelphia, which in recent Before Times I could catch on the internet. This year's parade is ON! 9AM Eastern Time, tomorrow, on PHL17.com (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/B8A2AE55-22E5-4C03-B077-2C00E05C2C9D@getmailspring.com/1?redirect=PHL17.com&recipient=bG9pcy1idWpvbGRAbGlzdHMuaGVyYWxkLmNvLnVr) . Would have been today but Philly got rain. Last year got COVIDed out, but this year the Fancies, Wenches, and Comic Brigades etc. are back.
I watched the Mummers parade as a little kid in Connecticut when one of the big networks broadcast it. Missed it when we moved to Florida in '55. Discovered it on Youtube a few years ago, and have been watching ever since.
The String Bands have entirely too many saxophones for my taste these days, but there is still nothing like massed banjos strutting down Broad Street. And the Comic Brigades during the Trump presidency were deadly funny!
--
Ross in Toronto