[LMB] Cassettes/LPs Re: OT: personal news

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sat Jan 1 21:23:26 GMT 2022

On Sat, 1 Jan 2022, Marc Wilson wrote:
> LPs persisted through the arrival (and near departure) of cassette.  I
> still have a turntable (in a system that cost more than any car I've
> ever owned) but I no longer have a cassette deck in the main system.

Several stores here in Ottawa either specialize in or do much of their
business in vinyl, both vintage and newly-released. People love it.

I have a turntable which needs a new needle, and I've kept a bunch of
albums that weren't released on CD or which I've found since second-hand
that were rarities, mostly jazz or folk.

> Cassettes seem to have some sort of cult following, mind: a friend who
> has recently liquidated most of his assets due to a move from a
> substantial house to a canal boat tells me that blank "metal" C90s are
> fetching around £20 each on eBay.  I must dig out the ones I have,
> there's about £500 worth.

Cassettes, even with Dolby D, never had good sound reproduction, and
they'd fail in a tangle of tape at the worst possible time - a real PITA.
You couldn't easily rewind to hear a specific track, either. I've only
kept a few that I taped off the radio or otherwise weren't available.

Alayne
who way prefers CDs/DVDs

--
Alayne McGregor