[LMB] Recent fentanyl stats Re: OT: Worries

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sat Jan 1 21:39:35 GMT 2022

Just saw this NPR story yesterday. Does not mention imports:

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/30/1069062738/more-than-a-million-americans-have-died-from-overdoses-during-the-opioid-epidemi
More than a million Americans have died from overdoses during the opioid
epidemic
December 30, 202110:26 AM ET

Deaths due to drug overdose have topped a million for the first time since
the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began collecting data on
the problem more than two decades ago.

A study released Thursday by the National Center for Health Statistics, a
division of the CDC, found that 932,364 people died in the U.S. from fatal
overdoses from 1999 through 2020.

Separate preliminary data from the CDC shows another 100,000 drug deaths
expected in 2021.

[...]In recent years, most overdose deaths have involved illicit fentanyl,
a powerful synthetic opioid, as well as cocaine and methamphetamines.
[...]

There is this DEA report from 2020, which doesn't indicate a massive
increase nor the stats William quotes:

https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/files/2020-03/DEA_GOV_DIR-008-20%20Fentanyl%20Flow%20in%20the%20United%20States_0.pdf

The flow of fentanyl into the United States in 2019 is more diverse
compared to the start of the fentanyl crisis in 2014, with new source
countries and new transit countries emerging as significant trafficking
nodes. This is exacerbating the already multi-faceted fentanyl crisis by
introducing additional source countries into the global supply chain of
fentanyl, fentanyl-related substances, and fentanyl precursors. Further,
this complicates law enforcement operations and policy efforts to stem the
flow of fentanyl into the United States. While Mexico and China are the
primary source countries for fentanyl and fentanyl-related substances
trafficked directly into the United States, India is emerging as a source
for finished fentanyl powder and fentanyl precursor chemicals.

This report from August 24, 2021 again indicates a continuing and serious
problem with illicit fentanyl coing into the US, but not a jump in the
amount nor those stats:

https://www.uscc.gov/sites/default/files/2021-08/Illicit_Fentanyl_from_China-An_Evolving_Global_Operation.pdf

Alayne

--