[LMB] OT: BBC Ghosts, was: Merry Christmas! To all and everyone!

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 21:40:11 GMT 2022

On Sun, 26 Dec 2021 06:17:43 +0000 (UTC), "M. Haller Yamada via
Lois-Bujold" <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

>Today is Boxing Day! As an American, I think it sounds so funny and exotic, and I tend to imagine Muhammed Ali, and then giving gifts to the people who help us all year long.

Nothing to do with the sport, of course; the day that servants and
selected tradesmen received their "Christmas box" at the big houses.
--
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
  - Greek proverb