[LMB] OT: Streaming Services

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 21:44:16 GMT 2022

On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:41:05 +0000, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com>
wrote:

>The fate of the entertainment industry is of importance to me both as a consumer and because of my son Brian's work. More on that later. Some of the following is US centric but since it doesn't involve government (yet) I hope no one will be offended.
>Since the shutdowns, streaming services have become of prime importance. It has become increasingly difficult to find content. This is especially true if you prefer not to pay per view fees. Some of this was happening even earlier. An example was Star Trek: Discovery. I watched the first couple of episodes on broadcast TV. It then switched to the CBS streaming. I really didn't like it that much and I wasn't going to pay to watch it.
>I currently subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney +, and Hulu. I also have an unused subscription to ESPN but I watch very little sports these days.
>More and more things are available only on particular services. I used to watch Dr. Who on our local PBS station, then on Netflix, now it seems to only be available as a pay per view or Britbox. I watched the Canadian show, Heartland, through the 13 seasons that it was available on Netflix and I'm hoping they will make a deal for the next two.
>That's the key. Will the different production companies make deals with which streaming services or start their own like Paramount +? It used to be that the broadcast networks controlled content and did a poor job of it. (Example, Fox with Firefy) Now it seems to be umpteen different streaming services with, it seems, more every week.
>I read an article recently that said people were reaching their limit on how many services they were willing to subscribe to. That seems to be true in my case. What is the sense of the list?

We have several hundred channels in the UK on "Freeview", which is
exactly what it sounds like.

We also have Sky, BritBox, Netflix etc, and Sky has a bunch of optional
packages.

I also have Amazon Prime, mainly for free deliveries, but it also gets
me e.g. The Expanse, which I've been binge-watching during the holidays
(3 series in 3 days).

There are all sorts of complex interactions between them: BritBox is
bundled with Amazon (at a discount) and Netflix can be had via Sky.

--
George R.R. Martin is no longer on Twitter because he's
killed all 140 characters.  - David Gerrold