[LMB] OT: Streaming Services

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 21:50:29 GMT 2022

On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:38:16 -0700, Howard J Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>> On Dec 25, 2021, at 9:12 AM, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> The worst thing IMHO that can happen to consumer choice is if the streaming services get bundled like cable channels are, so that with your cable subscription you get netflix, peacock and disney+ included in the price, regardless of what you want
>
>They can integrate the controls and still offer choice.

They *can*.  But they (on the whole) don't - because they'd be offering
individual channels at a few pennies a month, and they (a) don't want
the admin overhead and (b) are quite content for you to pay for 10
channels you don't want to get one you do.

The increase in the number of players, on the other hand, may lead to
competition to have more tailored packages (there's no tech barrier to
this, it's just the will to do it).

We have, for the first time, subscribed to Sky (now that Murdoch and his
spawn have no part in it any longer: I'm not sure Comcast are that much
better, but they've not as far as I know corrupted the UK political
process in the Murdoch manner).

And I like the fact that I can start and stop channels a month at a
time, so I can add sports for the World Cup season and then drop it
again.

And the "Sky Glass" TV is a fine thing.
--
George R.R. Martin is no longer on Twitter because he's
killed all 140 characters.  - David Gerrold