[LMB] Courage is going on.

Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Mon Jan 3 15:58:40 GMT 2022

 What an amazing family, and what beautiful tributes to them. Thank you.
Karen A. Wyle
    On Monday, January 3, 2022, 10:42:07 AM EST, Stewart Dean <sdean at sdean.net> wrote:

 > “Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men have always a choice - if not whether, then how, they may endure.”

When I was a year old in the summer of '48, my mother was almost totally paralyzed. We had been coming back from a weekend in the Poconos when she had pain in her back and within a day, she was immured in an iron lung fighting for her life.

What has always spoken most strongly to me in Bujold's work is her understanding of courage, of going on. I grew up taking care of my mother and the daily witness of his courage. Not the testoronic courage of Schwarzenegger, Stallone, the swaggering bravado of men who know themselves to be the meanest %^^$#@ in the Valley of the Shadow, no....but the holding-on-by-the-fingernail tenacity of the weak, the powerless, the disabled (ah, but we are all disabled, sooner or later, for moments or seeming eternity). Here is a letter she 'wrote' from Warm Springs where she struggled to find what was left to her.
http://www.sdean.net/MollyWarmSpringsTypewriter%20%28Medium%29.JPG

More here:
http://www.sdean.net/molpolio.html

...and here:
http://www.sdean.net/myfamily.html#GoneBefore

She was the towering flaming torch of courage, of spirit, of love of my early life. In a society, economy and culture, so slavishly devoted to winning (read [LeGuin's commencement address at Mills College](https://www.ursulakleguin.com/lefthand-mills-college)), we miss the gifts of the less flashy, quieter, deeper people all around us: paladins.

"When the souls rise up in glory, yours shall not be shunned nor sundered, but shall be the prize of the gods' gardens. Even your darkness shall be treasured then, and all your pain made holy."

Thank you Lois.

//Stewart Dean
sdean @ sdean.net, Kingston, NY