[LMB] OT: Kerfluffle

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Mon Jan 3 17:08:15 GMT 2022

I received two bills from a local hospital on 12/30. They totaled $390 for the COVID-19 test I had after Brian was infected. (BTW: He’s fine now.) I couldn’t get through to my insurance company until this morning and they had no record of the bills. I contacted the hospital and after an hour and a half they found that my address was entered in the place of my insurance company’s. At first I thought, “This was probably all automated since computers don’t think about what they are doing.”
Then I remembered something that happened almost fifty years ago (I may have told this story before, bare with me.).
After the Air Force, I worked for Singer Business Machines as an electronics technician. One of the jobs I had was testing and repairing printed circuit boards for a printing calculator. The board had three power transistors that required heat sinks. Only one of the heat sinks connected to a transistor at ground level. The boards would test fine until they were installed in their cases, afterwards however, the boards  would literally burn up. It seems that the people assembling the boards would sometimes put a star washer on top of the mica washer on the heat sinks that weren’t at ground. We wanted to tell the assembly people that “a mica washer is an insulator and a star washer is a conductor and you never put them together.” The bosses wouldn’t let us because the assemblers were not supposed to know anything except how to put parts in the holes.
I wouldn’t be surprised if that attitude had something to do with why the business failed.

William A Wenrich

  *   A sinner dependent on God’s grace.