[LMB] OT: Kerfluffle

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Mon Jan 3 18:06:35 GMT 2022

On 03/01/2022 17:08, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> The bosses wouldn’t let us because the assemblers were not supposed to know anything except how to put parts in the holes.
> I wouldn’t be surprised if that attitude had something to do with why the business failed.

I think it highly likely. Any business where a manager can utter "we do
not pay you to think" without said manager being summarily fired is,
IMHO, headed down the drain.

People who want to think are rare enough, they should be encouraged,
even (or especially) when they point out something their supposed
superiors did not think of.

I remember when I was working for a video streaming company, and a
subordinate told me that when he tested a specific network link, exactly
one in every four tests under-performed. And if he configured the
benchmarking tool to start four streams at once, it would always have a
problem with exactly one stream (or two of eight, three of twelve, etc).

He had only been told to test the throughput on that link and report it
to us me and the CTO so we could follow up with the provider if it
wasn't up to spec.

"Impossible!" I said, but I still had him show me. Not only was he
right, but that was the crucial hint that eventually let us resolve the
problems with that network link.