[LMB] OT: Kerfluffle

Stewart Dean sdean at sdean.net
Mon Jan 3 18:31:41 GMT 2022

Well, that was why Old Man Watson who led IBM had that THINK sign.
https://infostory.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/ibm_watson-think.jpg

Although nowadays, I wonder if there isn't too much thinking and intellectualization and too little action. Viz Yeats's Second Coming,

On 1/3/2022 1:06 PM, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold wrote:

> On 03/01/2022 17:08, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
>
>> The bosses wouldn’t let us because the assemblers were not supposed to know anything except how to put parts in the holes.
>> I wouldn’t be surprised if that attitude had something to do with why the business failed.
>
> I think it highly likely. Any business where a manager can utter "we do
> not pay you to think" without said manager being summarily fired is,
> IMHO, headed down the drain.
>
> People who want to think are rare enough, they should be encouraged,
> even (or especially) when they point out something their supposed
> superiors did not think of.
>
> I remember when I was working for a video streaming company, and a
> subordinate told me that when he tested a specific network link, exactly
> one in every four tests under-performed. And if he configured the
> benchmarking tool to start four streams at once, it would always have a
> problem with exactly one stream (or two of eight, three of twelve, etc).
>
> He had only been told to test the throughput on that link and report it
> to us me and the CTO so we could follow up with the provider if it
> wasn't up to spec.
>
> "Impossible!" I said, but I still had him show me. Not only was he
> right, but that was the crucial hint that eventually let us resolve the
> problems with that network link.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

- W.B. Yeats, The Second Coming