[LMB] OT: Temperature

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 5 02:54:47 GMT 2022

From: "Martin Smith " <smith.martin.music at gmail.com>

Feels very weird to know that I grew up with Fahrenheit and my kids didn't. All Celsius over here, until the current government changes it back in its constant lunatic mania for gestures rather than substance.
Incidentally, I haven't dropped below freezing point in the South of England yet.
Martin

Gwynne: I grew up with pounds, shillings and pence - then we went to
decimal currency.
And I grew up with all the random mess of the old measurement system, with
feet and inches, pounds and ounces, and all the rest of it - and then we went
decimal with that too.
Fahrenheit went to Celsius.
And the new systems are so much simpler and easier.
But... my grandmother lived with us. So for years, and years after the change,
I'd have to translate everything back to the old measurements when I talked
to her. It became automatic, and really fast; I'd do it without even noticing
during our conversations.
She's long gone, of course, but I can still do conversions if I have to - one of
those totally useless skills that hangs around (while I'm totally incapable of
doing things I actually need. Dammit.)
Oddly, I still like to convert people's heights to feet and inches. Somehow
that is still how I 'see' it. Everything else is more comfortable in metric.