[LMB] OT: Donation, was Temperature

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 5 03:11:33 GMT 2022

From: Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>

> Gwynne:
> Sometimes after donating I'll get a text telling me that my donation is
> about to be used, and which hospital it was taken to. So even in
lockdown, at least part of me got to travel around.
> --

Nice!  I wish I got that.
I wonder, though, how long a pint lasts.  Does the blood ever spoil and
have to be discarded before use?

Gwynne: They process it into its different components, and anything not
used right away goes for research, or different sorts of storage. They don't
waste anything if they can possibly help it.
And at the moment, with the pandemic interfering with so much, a lot of
donors aren't able to donate as often as they used to, so there's a lot less
blood stored up ready.