[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 17:40:30 GMT 2022

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 12:25 PM Margaret via Lois-Bujold <

> Thank you. That was a wonderful essay.
>
> I absolutely agree with her #4: "The reader's world-view can be
> expanded." That was my experience as a younger person, and when I'm
> fortunate in my choice of reading material, it's my experience today.
>
> Question: She says that Barrayar is an exploration of the cost of
> parenthood through six parallel couples. I can't identify the couples.
> Here are the ones I can think of:
>
> Clearly:
> Cordelia and Aral
> Kou and Drou
>
> Maybe:
> Alys and Padma
> Kareen and Serg
> Kareen and Vidal

The other is Bothari and the replicator. Quoted from the Author's Afterword
in Cordelia's Honor:
Not just Aral and Cordelia, but all the other supporting couples took up
and played their symphonic variations on the theme, exploring its
complexities: Kou and Drou, Padma and Alys, Piotr and his dead wife,
Vordarian and Serg and Kareen, and most strangely and SFnally, Bothari and
the uterine replicator.