[LMB] Leaking

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed Jan 5 21:28:31 GMT 2022

On Jan 5, 2022, at 5:40 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> One of the things that bugs Gayle about me is that occasionally I will jump from one subject to another that has no or little connection to what has gone before. It's a little like Miles leaking thoughts when his mind is racing. (No, I'm not claiming to be like Miles in any important way.)
> As an example, I was reading an article about genetic testing that said that, while prenatal tests for Down's were fairly accurate, tests for other genetic problems could have up to 85% false positives. My mind immediately jumped to "The Yiddish Policemen's Union" and the test for Tay Sachs. The specific tests that were problematic were not mentioned in the article.
> Does anyone else's mind jump around like that?

I’m bipolar—neuro-divergent—and yes, my mind jumps around: in a series of tangents, which most people can’t follow, nor see the relevance of endpoint to the beginning without extensive explanation.

One example: I was taking a class in Old French (before 1650). I had French, and a semester each of Spanish and Latin. I forget which prof said OF was closer to modern Spanish than to Latin, but s/he was correct.

I admit I already had exposure to Old French via Renaissance music, but that just gave me flavor overtones. I hadn’t yet studied European historical language change.

I sat with a study group for the class one night. The others plodded and didn’t finish by the end of the session. I’d finished halfway through. They weren’t interested in my insights or suggestions, and that was the last time I tried that.

I worked at the college library in an acquisitions department. We’d get book requests from profs, and had to check those requests against current holdings, and if not a duplicate, flesh out as much publishing info as possible from a Union Catalog. This is before OCLC.

The language the book was in didn’t matter, because I was good at matching patterns. Another job I did was to get as much publication data as possible from incoming books not found in catalog records. Few of those were in English, many were not in any language I’d been taught, but were in Roman letters. It was fun. I’d find “little words”, diacritical marks, and sometimes cities it towns of publication. Not all bibliographic info was next to the title page, many were in a colophon at the end.

So one semester there were two students to guide.

“Oh, no. I can’t do this—I haven’t studied these languages.”

So not mystery fans or crossword solvers. I was not impressed.

Yes, I have a gift for languages, even now—but patterns and clues are a large part of that—and none of the above just couldn’t get it. It’s as if they were afraid to tread outside of their set boundaries.

But as one of our listees said in a sig, There’s no such thing for me as TMI, only info for which I haven’t found a use yet.

I never know when a datum might come in handy: it often allows me to add A and B and get C, D, or E, the latter two most often more useful.

It’s a neurodiverse thing. Folks with ADD or ADHD often reason along similar lines, achieving a cognitive leap.

A. Marina Fournier
saffronrose at me.com
Valley of Heart’s Delight. CA
Sent from iFionnghuala