[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 21:31:26 GMT 2022

I am reminded of the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Darmok".
Professional linguists have been known to express frustration at how
elementary the concepts dealt with are, and how unrealistic it is that
hyper-educated and -professional people in the distant future are finding
their application a challenge.  But to people who never think about how
words work or what they are, the episode is a revelation.

The degree to which the episode is recognized, and beloved, indicates the
degree to which the majority of viewers were unfamiliar with its ideas.

Matt "at Tanagra" G.