[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

Alex Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 02:38:31 GMT 2022

Hello,

> On Jan 5, 2022, at 19:26, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> The only trouble I had with Darmok was that I couldn’t understand how children could learn the background stories behind the phrases.

Osmosis. You learn what the phrase is supposed to mean, then later the stories. When I was growing up, there was a television animated short program explaining the story behind the various phrases. Other languages have the same thing, too, just not as much. For example, most kids in the West learn that Eden means utopia and only later learn about the biblical story behind it.

little Alex