[LMB] Leaking

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Thu Jan 6 04:10:14 GMT 2022

---- On Wed, 05 Jan 2022 18:01:20 -0800 quietann <quietann at gmail.com> wrote ----

OK. There's this little thing called sacrifice. Are you aware of how many
marriages fail when a severely disabled child is born? Or the general lack
of support services for these children, once they are adults?
Massachusetts' waiting list for adult group homes was about 5 years long as
of a few years ago. Aging parents who know they will not be there forever
for their adult children, or were unable to continue caring for them?

This is a harsh reality, but potential parents are not stupid for looking
at this.

Ann

Beatrice Otter:

I can't speak for other disabilities because I haven't seen studies on the issue, but about a decade ago there was a study (I think in Canada?) that looked at families where a child was diagnosed as autistic, and found that the divorce rate among parents with an autistic child ... was exactly the same as the national average. And this was true regardless of the severity of symptoms. The study was mostly ignored (and pooh-poohed when it was brought up, despite a large size and excellent research methods) because of the common assumption that all children with disabilities result in parents who are more likely to divorce.

And you are right that we need a great deal more services for disabled people and their families; and not just more services, but better services that are tailored to the needs of the disabled person, instead of just warehousing them.

Beatrice Otter