[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 05:48:23 GMT 2022

Alex Kwan <litalex at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2022, at 19:26, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>> The only trouble I had with Darmok was that I couldn't understand how
>> children could learn the background stories behind the phrases.
> Osmosis. You learn what the phrase is supposed to mean, then later the
> stories. When I was growing up, there was a television animated short
> program explaining the story behind the various phrases. Other languages
> have the same thing, too, just not as much. For example, most kids in
> the West learn that Eden means utopia and only later learn about the
> biblical story behind it.

How is one supposed to learn what the phrases mean before knowing the
stories?  Supposedly the aliens' language didn't use words outside of
such phrases; that was the point.

How they could implement technology is even more problematic.  Imagine a
circuit diagram with the components' values labelled.  It wasn't a
society that was well suited to precise communication in a hurry, such
as giving specific instructions in an emergency.

Joel