[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

Alex Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 07:56:20 GMT 2022

Hello,

> On Jan 6, 2022, at 00:48, Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> How is one supposed to learn what the phrases mean before knowing the
> stories?  Supposedly the aliens' language didn't use words outside of
> such phrases; that was the point.

You don’t need the story to know what a phrase is supposed to mean. People learn what a black widow means, ie, a wife who’d kill her husband (for money), before learning that it originally referred to a female spider that eats the male that mated with her.

As to the episode, I don’t think the writers managed to convey their premise properly, ‘cause the alien was using words other than the set phrases. And also, from what I’ve read, the language was supposedly based a little on Chinese. I can’t explain what the writers were thinking; I can only explain the Chinese.

little Alex