[LMB] Leaking

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Thu Jan 6 08:56:46 GMT 2022

On 05/01/2022 22:03, Matthew George wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 4:36 PM Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <
>
>> There are lots of things that have one name (and completely different
>> implications) when
>> done to you by others vs when done by you to yourself.
>>
> The word people object to is the general, highly-inclusive category.
> 'Killing' is the example.  That is the supercategory that includes both
> murder and suicide.

And notice that people don't object nearly as much to "killing" in
general as they object to murder.

Note the instant response from all sorts of Christians who are eager to
point out that "Thou shalt not kill" really means "Thou shalt not
murder", restricting to more specific meaning because they want the more
general meaning still allowed. The same goes for legislatures, which
prohibit/punish "murder", and "manslaughter", and sometimes "suicide",
but not "killing".

My point stands: there are big moral differences (widely recognized)
between "murder" and "suicide". And the biggest difference is personal
choice.

And no, "eugenics" is not the more general term.

I refer you to https://www.britannica.com/science/eugenics-genetics
which makes it pretty clear that eugenics, from it's very start, was not
about personal choice, but about influencing other people, either
through persuasion to select better mates ("good eugenics") or through
legislation/coercion forcing "less desirable" people not to have
children (including through sterilization) aka "bad eugenics".

The more inclusive term would be "social Darwinism" (a misnomer, since
it doesn't really have anything to do with Darwin). And again, the
difference is in personal choice. If you consider yourself by some
category superior to other people, and want to have children with a
person who you think will preserve or even enhance that category in your
children AND your choice of partner will have you, nobody is going to
object to it. They might consider you shallow, but that is not going to
prevent you from doing what you want.

When you seek to enforce your choices on other people, either through
anti-miscegenation laws or some other means, THAT is a whole different
story.

> Matt "hypocrisy" G.
Your current choice for your middle name is highly appropriate.