[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

catherine muir c_muir68 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:27:30 GMT 2022

This relates to an argument I had some time ago at college.

What is a “word”?  - I would argue that a great cook will think in tastes, mentally putting ingredients together.   In the same way, a perfumier may think in scent; a musician will undoubtedly think in musical sounds, phrases, even in the particular sound of an instrument (I certainly do!)  An artist may, for all I know, think in colour, or line, or shape, or texture.

So what is a “word”?  If we include all of the above, then I would agree with Raymond’s hypothesis.  If we exclude them, I profoundly disagree.