[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Thu Jan 6 12:32:00 GMT 2022

I think you are using "word" as for two different things here.

a) as a spoken unit of language

b) as a bearer of a unit of information

Most of us tend to use the same word for both things interchangeably
because we have a 1:1 mapping between the two.

However, I think people who use sign language exclusively, don't use
words in the same way. I think everybody uses words as b, but not
everybody associates each unit of information with a specific sequence
of sounds.

I am multilingual, and while my thoughts are in words, I think in
different languages. I can/I do sometimes think about the same thing in
different languages.

That would seem to imply that in my brain there is an underlying
concept, which the infrastructure of my brain can translate into
whichever language I am thinking in in any given moment.