[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

Kathy Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu Jan 6 15:33:41 GMT 2022

On Jan 6, 2022, at 2:56 AM, Alex Kwan <litalex at gmail.com> wrote:

> You don’t need the story to know what a phrase is supposed to mean.

Yes, and we see this all the time, especially with the internet and memes and the language of teens, etc.  Words and phrases leak out from in-groups and start being used without the original context being known.  For instance, I’ve used variations on “all your base are belong to us” with only a vague idea of the original context.  My children say “pay troll” without having ever played the original Adventure game where you had to pay the troll the golden eggs.  And culture continues to generate new examples — we’ve already had one mention of “hot buttered Jorts” on the list (thank you, Micki!), and I’ve seen a number elsewhere; I don’t know that it’s settled down to have one particular meaning — the original story is rich with possibilities (see https://www.cnet.com/how-to/jorts-the-cat-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-internets-new-favourite-cat/ if you want to know more).

Katherine