[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 10:49:31 GMT 2022

On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 21:38:31 -0500, Alex Kwan <litalex at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>> On Jan 5, 2022, at 19:26, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> The only trouble I had with Darmok was that I couldn’t understand how children could learn the background stories behind the phrases.
>
>Osmosis. You learn what the phrase is supposed to mean, then later the stories. When I was growing up, there was a television animated short program explaining the story behind the various phrases. Other languages have the same thing, too, just not as much. For example, most kids in the West learn that Eden means utopia and only
later learn about the biblical story behind it.

Indeed; every day, many people use stock phrases without an inkling of
where they originate (which gives the cod-etymology loons an opportunity
to Make Shit Up, of course).

--
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
  - George Carlin