[LMB] OT: Donation, was Temperature

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 10:56:48 GMT 2022

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 14:57:06 -0500, Sylvia McIvers
<sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 9:47 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> From: Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>
>>
>> I donated blood ...
>> Sylvia
>>
>> Gwynne:
>> Sometimes after donating I'll get a text telling me that my donation is
>> about
>> to be used, and which hospital it was taken to. So even in lockdown, at
>> least
>> part of me got to travel around.
>> --
>>

>Nice!  I wish I got that.
>I wonder, though, how long a pint lasts.  Does the blood ever spoil and
>have to be discarded before use?

I donated on 21 Dec; had a text yesterday saying my donation had been
issued in Nottingham.

Generally, refrigerated blood is good for 42 days, apparently;
red blood cells can be stored for 35, platelets for a mere 7, plasma up
to 3 years.

Blood can be frozen, and kept for up to 10 years - I assume it has to be
thawed very carefully.
--
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
  - George Carlin