[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Fri Jan 7 14:22:38 GMT 2022

On 07/01/2022 12:13, WalterStuartBushell wrote:
> I sometimes wonder if people who believe in free will, ever when through puberty.
>
> A simple chemical change and _everything_ changes in a preestablished pattern.
Aside that in my experience, the smarter a person is, the more they are
able to tell you why it is perfectly logical to do what their hormones
tell them to do.

However, on the other hand, if they are forewarned, the smarter the
person is, the more they are able to control their impulses by
recognizing it is the hormones talking.

I'll reference again the book "thinking: fast and slow",
(https://smile.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman-ebook)
which is recommended reading to anybody who gets hired a Google SRE (and
I recommend it to anybody working in an OPS role).

With practice, you can recognize situations where your feelings and/or
hormones (including, but not limited to, Adrenaline) are forcing a
decision which really warrants further thought, and you can make
yourself think things through.

Fast thinking is great when you move a branch and suddenly find yourself
face to face with a tiger, but once you're out of the
split-second-action needed situation, taking a few seconds to think
through your options is really beneficial. Even if you do it while
running. It gets easier with practice.

Having said that, some people relish being able to say "I was acting
without thinking"/"I could do no other" when they get caught doing
something they shouldn't have been doing.