[LMB] OT: Temperature

Tony Zbaraschuk tzbarasc at lasierra.edu
Fri Jan 7 14:29:49 GMT 2022

Fahrenheit's original scale was based on the idea that the temperature of
the human body was 100, which made a convenient point.  (This turned out to
be a slight measurement error, just like Dionysius Exiguus' attempt to set
the calendar at the birth-year of Christ involved a slight
miscalculation.)  And he tried to set the zero point as low as he could go,
which involved the freezing point of a brine mixture, which turned out not
to have any particular significance.

Tony Z

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 8:13 AM Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> > On Jan 7, 2022, at 4:02 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Fahrenheit does make a *certain* amount of sense:
> >

> >                 0           100
> > -------------+-----------+----------+
> > Fahrenheit   | too cold  |  too hot |
> > -------------+-----------+----------+
> > Centigrade   |  cold     |  dead    |
> > Kelvin       |  dead     |  dead    |
>
> Only if there’s something special about the number 100.
>
> (I think there is something special about that number when I play golf,
> but would change my goal if I got halfway good).

Tony Zbaraschuk
Bookworm, talker, learner
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"