[LMB] Leaking

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Jan 7 16:41:18 GMT 2022

> On Jan 7, 2022, at 8:24 AM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Weird karma - my grandpa, a nice Jewish boy from Poland, immigrated to New
> York, joined the army to fight Hitler...  and was sent to the Pacific
> Theater.  So technically he never got to fight Hitler.

Fredric Pohl didn’t need to fight in WWII.   He lived in an area of NYC that had lots of Chinese volunteers so he wouldn’t have been drafted.   But eventually he volunteered anyway.   The army trained him for cold weather fighting, removed all of his fillings and replaced them with fillings designed for cold weather—and sent him to North Africa...