[LMB] Leaking

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Fri Jan 7 17:19:21 GMT 2022

On 07/01/2022 16:41, Howard Brazee wrote:
>> On Jan 7, 2022, at 8:24 AM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Weird karma - my grandpa, a nice Jewish boy from Poland, immigrated to New
>> York, joined the army to fight Hitler...  and was sent to the Pacific
>> Theater.  So technically he never got to fight Hitler.
> Fredric Pohl didn’t need to fight in WWII.   He lived in an area of NYC that had lots of Chinese volunteers so he wouldn’t have been drafted.   But eventually he volunteered anyway.   The army trained him for cold weather fighting, removed all of his fillings and replaced them with fillings designed for cold weather—and sent him to North Africa...
I did not know that, but I remember he was pretty scathing (in the
foreword to "The Space Merchants") about what the army did to Kornbluth.
I forget the details, it has been a long time since I read it. I think
he blamed them for either causing or exacerbating the heart problem that
eventually killed Kornbluth.