[LMB] When World-Views Collide, books

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 8 13:01:25 GMT 2022

From: Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 12:25 PM Margaret via Lois-Bujold <
> Question: She says that Barrayar is an exploration of the cost of
> parenthood through six parallel couples. I can't identify the couples.
> Here are the ones I can think of:
> Clearly:
> Cordelia and Aral
> Kou and Drou
> Maybe:
> Alys and Padma
> Kareen and Serg
> Kareen and Vidal

The other is Bothari and the replicator. Quoted from the Author's Afterword
in Cordelia's Honor:
Not just Aral and Cordelia, but all the other supporting couples took up
and played their symphonic variations on the theme, exploring its
complexities: Kou and Drou, Padma and Alys, Piotr and his dead wife,
Vordarian and Serg and Kareen, and most strangely and SFnally, Bothari and
the uterine replicator.

Gwynne: I would have added Ekaterin and Tien to the list; parenthood
brought Ekaterin a huge love for her child, but it was a tether that limited
her life and choices for a long time.