[LMB] OT: Phishing

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 8 13:08:45 GMT 2022

On 05/01/2022 13:49, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> I just got another phishing attack. This one was promising to have my student loans forgiven if I contacted them and gave them information. Since I paid off my student loan of $150 in 1968 while in the Air Force, I had no problem ignoring it.

Gwynne: For the last few months I've had more of them than ever.
But they go in waves, and follow fashions. A while ago it was all
bitcoins. Then it was ladies from foreign shores who were so eager
to meet me (and, at the same time, products that would help my
ability to satisfy said ladies, if I was male.) Lately it's the 'dear friend
I need to tell you...' ones. And people needing help with all their money.
Presumably they make enough money out of them to make it worth
while, but I can't believe that anyone still falls for them.

There's all the old favourites - banks that need to check my information
(Um... don't bank with you, sorry.)  Parcel deliveries that I have to
talk to them about (sorry, nothing on order right now.)  'Block' or
'notify of phishing scam' get a lot of work.

Oh, and I love the psychics who have something important to tell me.
Sorry, Pet - if you were any good, you'd know that you have zero chance
of getting money out of me.