[LMB] OT: Donation was Temperature

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 8 13:17:18 GMT 2022

From: "Gordon Jackson" <listmail at gordonj.net>

I donated when younger but by the time I left NZ to come to UK was no longer
permitted to do so due to having lived in the UK for a while during the
1980s. A physician I mentioned that to here in the UK asked if it was due to
potential exposure to HIV but it wasn't, it was due to potential exposure to
Mad Cow Disease. I looked it up and the restriction is still in place. If
you lived in the UK, France or Republic of Ireland for >6 months between
1980 and 1996 you cannot donate blood in NZ.
Cheers
Gordon

Gwynne: Australia has limits on donors who've been in the UK at that time, too,
and for the same reason. They akso ask if you've been in Papua New Guinea, and
a few other places. (It varies now and then.) And then there's the list of activities;
have you been to a dentist, had a tattoo, piercings, sex workers, partners who....
there's a list of questions, and I work down it ticking 'No.... no.... no.... '  And
then I wonder if my life is too boring.