[LMB] Colors

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 17:47:29 GMT 2022

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 8:14 AM WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> Emma is playing her first game in the YMCA volleyball league today and
> Brian sent me a picture. We couldn't attend because of restrictions. Her
> team colors are black and white.

Yay Emma!

> That got me thinking about team colors in professional sports and if
> there's a link to the district colors on Barrayar. Perhaps it has come full
> circle from colors on the battlefield to team colors and then back to the
> battlefield.
> The only NBA team to use brown is the Celtics.

It all probably does trace back to heraldry (and flags/banners), which
indeed originated on the battlefield as a way to distinguish friend from
foe. In sports where the two teams mingle / interact with each other, I
suspect team colors *still* have that function, for the players as well as
the spectators.

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>