[LMB] Birthday Tixie

Jean Lamb tlambs1138 at charter.net
Sat Jan 8 19:30:40 GMT 2022

Happy 9th birthday to Anna Wenrich! Today you will be helping Auntie Marta
in the lab with the butterbugs at Vorkosigan House. She is putting some kind
of chemical on three of the butterbug queens so they will become fertile and
have more butterbugs. She asks you to watch them and tell her when the color
on their behinds changes to yellow, because that means the chemical is
working. You stand there and wait, even though it's really boring. And then
you notice something. "Auntie Marta, the one in the middle isn't changing.
Does that mean there's something wrong with it?" Marta comes over and
frowns. You worry for a moment, till she says, "I'm not mad at you, Anna. I
am just surprised the chemical didn't work. I'll go take another look at
this one. You can go sit down now, you did the right thing by telling me
about this."

Uncle Enrique comes over and looks at the different butterbug queen along
with Auntie Marta. Then Marta says, "This queen is already fertile and
didn't need the chemical. We'll have to test them all to make sure we don't
have any more like that." So you spend the afternoon helping them check all
the queens, and making sure the checked ones and the unchecked ones stay
separate. Once it's all done, you are told that you were a lot of help and
you get a birthday dinner there along with your grandpa. Ma Kosti is
cooking, of course, and makes all your favorites. You also get a big cake
and everyone sings "Happy Birthday!".

Happy Birthday!!!

Jean Lamb

tlambs1138 at charter.net <mailto:tlambs1138 at charter.net>