[LMB] OT: Phishing

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 08:54:56 GMT 2022

On Monday, January 10, 2022, 01:34:32 PM GMT+9, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:

I got an email from my neighbors saying they had arrested in the
Philippines and needed bail money. Since I could look out the window and
seeing them barbecuing, I was pretty certain they where not incarcerated in
the Philippines. It turned out their email password had been hacked and
everyone in their address book got the same email.

Micki: Shortly before I left Facebook, someone contacted me through the messenger service (I can't remember what it was called) pretending to be a high school friend who was stranded in Spain, I think it was. I played along and really dumb until the guy gave up. When my friend got back on Facebook, she said she was amused.

Since that time, fooling around with scammers by making them waste their time and lose their tempers has become quite an entertainment option. I liked some of James Veitch's YouTube videos describing his adventures, but that leads to more "I scammed the scammers" videos in my feed, and some people really aren't that nice.

I had been off the computer for several months this summer and fall, and one of the first things I did when I got back on was order Christmas gifts. And I fell for one of those "your package delivery may be delayed" things. It did seem rather well done, but I got routed to Vietnam, I think it was. I'm thinking of putting a yearly reminder in my Google calender: "If you get a scary notice, check directly with the website you do business with; don't click through the email."

It's only natural that the scammers are going to get better at what they do, improve their grammar and use better graphics programs.

Micki