[LMB] Rom and Jules, was When World-Views Collide, books

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Mon Jan 10 17:13:01 GMT 2022

On Jan 10, 2022, at 10:17 AM, John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com> wrote:

> John: Quite right about teenage drama queens, but there is no evidence that
> Romeo is 14. We know Juliet is -- her mother tells us so (and that she is
> herself 28, having had Juliet when she was 14) -- but while Romeo is
> clearly also adolescent anything between 14 and 19 is possible, and I'd
> tend to think 16-17 probable.

My daughter Nicola was in a limited-cast production of R&J in graduate school, in which she was both Romeo and Lady Capulet; her portrayal of Lady Capulet made clear that Lady Capulet was afraid of her husband and likely abused (certainly being married at 14 to an older, powerful man would meet our definitions of abuse).

> If you really want a splendid retelling of R&J, btw, try Diana Wynne Jones,
> *The Magicians of Caprona*.

Diana Wynne Jones is always worthwhile.  Magicians of Caprona of course includes more than a retelling of R&J -- besides the magic, there's all the Punch and Judy stuff as well.  (And for another story with Punch and Judy, there's Aaronovitch's Rivers of London/Midnight Riot -- I was going to say darker retelling, but as Peter Grant points out, you can't really get much darker than the original Punch and Judy story).

Katherine