[LMB] OT: Puzzles

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 10 19:36:32 GMT 2022

Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> A requirement for all mysteries is for the reader to know the rules.
> In F&SF, those include the rules of how that universe works.

Or at least that's what is now considered appropriate for a "fair"
mystery, one in which the reader has a chance to solve the puzzle along
with the detective / protagonist.  I seem to recall Asimov describing
that while writing about some of his own stories.  Most of the Sherlock
Holmes stories are resolved with information that isn't given to
the reader until Holmes explains things after the arrest, and I tend
to think of them as adventures rather than mysteries on that basis.
"I observed that the stone of the bridge had been chipped" and so on.

Joel