[LMB] Colors

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 09:09:27 GMT 2022

From: Carol Botteron <cjbotteron at gmail.com>

Micki: ... Vor colors would be at the whimsy of the original count who
chose the colors, I would suppose.

Carol:  Do we know how the counts originally got their specific colors?
The High Vor have reasonable combinations, but IIRC some others have awful
ones (doesn't someone have chartreuse and red)?  Likely the higher ranking
ones got to choose first, and maybe after some point they drew numbers.

Gwynne: I'm not sure about the order of choosing; garish colours might be
better on the battlefield, so that you could identify your own people really
quickly. OTOH the less noticeable ones, like black and silver, or dark brown
and silver, might have been more useful if you mostly did guerilla fighting.
The Vorkosigans had the Dendarii mountains, so possibly a lot of their
early battles relied on stealth and surprise attacks, rather than set battles -
that tends to support the theory. So maybe the colour choice depended on
the terrain of the District - if you were from the plains, you might have more
 set battles (I'm thinking of Waterloo-type formations, loosely), all in bright uniforms.