[LMB] Rom and Jules, was When World-Views Collide, books

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 09:23:04 GMT 2022

From: John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com>

John: Quite right about teenage drama queens, but there is no evidence that
Romeo is 14. We know Juliet is -- her mother tells us so (and that she is
herself 28, having had Juliet when she was 14) -- but while Romeo is
clearly also adolescent anything between 14 and 19 is possible, and I'd
tend to think 16-17 probable. Tony Tanner (drawing on a remark by
Coleridge) said the play is characterised by "precipitate immoderation",
which is whang in the gold.

Gwynne: It's a long time since I hit R&J and I can't remember; was Juliet an
only child? I think she was. If her mum was only 28 she should still be having
children, by the expectations of that society she should have half a dozen
already. So if she didn't, and Juliet is the only one (problems with the birth?)
there's a whole other stressor there, for her mother; she's failed in her duty
to produce the valuable sons. That would tend to make her put even more
pressure on Juliet - as her mother has to deliver the most value she can out
of her sole child.