[LMB] OT: Borrowing

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 09:48:55 GMT 2022

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 11:55 AM WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
> I am of two minds about a problem that I've had recently. Almost every
> time my granddaughters visit my house, that is at least 5 days a week, I'm
> constantly looking for equipment like headphones or cables the have been
> "borrowed" and left somewhere around the house. The latest incident was
> when Hazel borrowed my wireless mouse to do artwork on her tablet. Then she
> lost it somewhere in the house. After more than a week of searching, I
> still can't find it. I still have the US wireless connector but the mouse
> itself has disappeared.

Gwynne: My father had the same problem with his kids (oh yes, that would be
ummm... )  At one point he took some string and tied his scissors, tape, etc,
to his desk. Gradually the issue was resolved. I'd suggest that you set down the
rules, and explain why - mention the missing mouse without saying who took it.

You might also suggest that if they lose anything, they have to replace it out of
their own pocket-money. I often had interviews with parents who were so
frustrated that their darling kids kept on losing their school uniform items - hats,
coats, etc - and some of it was very expensive to replace.

I'd always suggest that the next missing item was replaced by the child, using their
own pocket-money and savings. If the parents did that, just once, the child never lost
another item. Suddenly the items had value, instead of just appearing magically,
and being constantly replaced at apparently no cost.